What does Mercury in retrograde actually mean?
Astrologers and those of you who pay attention to the planets, believe that there is a connection between the orbiting planets and life on earth.
When a planet is in retrograde it seems that it is moving backwards. It’s important to bear in mind is that it only seems that it’s moving backwards. The planet doesn’t actually physically start moving backwards in its orbit, it just appears to do because of the relative positions of the planet and earth and how they are moving around the sun.
A great metaphor to explain this is; if you were in a car and another car passed you, you could tell it was going faster than you. But if it slowed down and you then passed it, it would appear that that car was actually going backward.
During a retrograde cycle we should be aware of what the planet in question governs, as these are the things which will be affected. Generally, the things governed by a certain planet require replication or do overs. So, when Mercury is in retrograde we are looking what it governs so we can work out why on earth (excuse the pun) it makes us all go slightly doolally.
Mercury: Ruler of the Mind & Communication
If you didn’t guess by heading Mercury rules the all things mind and communication. This includes speaking, listening, negotiating, reading, learning. the nervous system, our rational mind, and the ability to analyse.
Mercury also governs all types of code, including computer codes, as well as transportation, shipping, and travel. When this planet retrogrades, these areas tend to get scrambled or spin out of control.
What does it mean for you?
Mercury in retrograde might explain why you’re fantasising about flipping the bird to your boss, or why your spreadsheet decided to malfunction for the millionth time for no apparent reason. So, if you need some guidance to help make it through this challenging period, take a deep breath in, exhale, and read our do’s and don’ts for this retrograde:
- Review all contracts and legal documents before signing.
- Pause and breathe before speaking. (Repeat yourself if necessary!)
- Read all emails and documents before you send.
- Insure/track important mail and packages (Mercury rules the postal system).
- Get your vehicles (or bikes) tuned up, pack an emergency roadside kit.
- Leave early for any travel and appointments, since Mercury retrograde can delay flights.
- Renew your commitments instead of making new ones.
- Plan reunions with old friends & loved ones (but prepare for possible mishaps!)
- Expect to hear from/run into people from your past at the weirdest moments.
- Get sentimental. Reconnect with your roots, walk down memory lane.
- Practice forgiveness. Finish processing what’s unresolved so you can let it go.
- Confirm all dates, plans, meetings, appointments.
- Think of the retrograde as a quarterly review period, a chance to pause and finish what you’ve started.
- Back up your digital data (photos, contact lists, files) before the retrograde or ASAP if it’s started.
- Buy new vehicles, electronic equipment or gadgets (unless they come with a good return/repair policy).
- Sign contracts without a thorough review (delay until Mercury turns direct if you can).
- Fly off the handle or jump to conclusions if someone misunderstands you.
- Run into the arms/bed of an ex without careful screening (Mercury reunions aren’t always meant to last).
- Shoot the messenger if someone from your past comes around.
- Put anything sketchy into an email or text (you could hit “Reply All” or send to the wrong person!).
- Leave late for flights or appointments.
- Start anything new on top before finishing what’s ahead on the to-do list.
- Lead people on, give mixed messages, or believe everything you hear (actions speak louder than words).
- Spread rumours, rant on social media or share unconfirmed information.
- Turn in unchecked work or cut corners. Inspect to protect!