Vegan Yule Log
‘Tis the season for entertaining and lots of eating!
If you are like us and love anything Chocolatey on Christmas day then you’ll be sure to love this Vegan Yule Log recipe. We’ve spent ages looking to find an easy recipe with delicious results and this light chocolate sponge, filled with a rich chestnut cream, covered in dark chocolate ganache really does taste incredible!
Even if you aren’t vegan, it’s too easy not to try and we assure you will love it.
If you decide to give this recipe a go, we would love to see it! Tag your festive Yules with @truly_lifestyle
For the Swiss Roll:
50 ml vegetable or sunflower oil
180 ml dairy-free yoghurt (unsweetened soya works best)
120 ml dairy-free milk (unsweetened soya works best)
1 tsp vanilla extract
185 g self-raising flour
40 g cornflour
100 g icing sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
For the chestnut cream filling:
150 ml vegan double cream
120g chestnut purée
1 tbsp brandy or amaretto (optional - check it is vegan)
For the chocolate ganache:
250 ml vegan double cream
250 g dark chocolate check it is vegan
pinch of salt
- Line a baking tin with baking paper/parchment and preheat the oven to 180ºC / 350ºF / Gas Mark 4. Your tin should be a minimum of 20 x 30cm, but slightly bigger is even better - a thinner sponge is even easier to roll.
- In a large bowl, mix the wet ingredients - oil, vegan yoghurt, vegan milk and vanilla extract.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the bowl - flour, cornflour, icing sugar, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Mix to combine, just until a smooth batter has formed, and no lumps of flour remain.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared tin and put straight into the oven for 10-12 minutes or until the sponge springs back when pressed.
- Whilst it is cooking, cover a cooling rack with a clean tea towel. then a sheet of baking parchment on top – this part is vital for rolling!
- When the sponge is ready, remove it from the oven and turn it out immediately onto the baking parchment. Carefully peel off the paper it was cooked in.
- Roll it up from the long edge, with the paper trapped inside. If the edges are a little dry it might help to carefully cut these off first, for an easier roll. Leave to cool completely.
- For the chestnut cream filling:
- Whisk the cream until thick - this takes a while, at least 2-3 minutes in a stand mixer - keep going!
- Stir through the chestnut puree and mix until it is fully combined, and no lumps remain. Stir through the brandy (if using).
- Gently heat the cream in a saucepan - it should be very warm but not bubbling. Remove from the heat.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and add to the saucepan. Stir until thick, glossy and smooth. Stir through the salt and set aside to cool - it needs to be at room temperature before using.
- To Assemble:
- When the sponge is completely cool, unroll it carefully. Don't worry if it cracks in places, you will be able to hide it with ganache! Spread a layer of the chestnut cream over the whole sponge, then re-roll to form a long swiss roll.
- Trim the ends to neaten them, then slice about a quarter of the roll off the end on the diagonal. Place this on one side to become the branch.
- Cover the whole log in chocolate ganache, then use a table knife to create the texture of the bark along the length of the log, and circles at each end. Sprinkle with icing sugar, decorate, serve and enjoy!
Recipe from The Veg Space – easy Vegan comfort food. https://www.thevegspace.co.uk/vegan-chocolate-yule-log/