Eggs Benedict is one of my favourite brunches, it tastes and always looks amazing. I’ve always been reluctant to make them at home as I used to think there were so many elements to perfect but believe it or not, it is a super easy and delicious recipe you can enjoy at home just as much as you would do out.
Muffins – Bought from the store
Meat – We went with cooked ham however you can choose bacon or smoked salmon.
Rocket – or any chosen salad (optional)
3 egg yolks, from large eggs
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice , plus more to taste
1 1/2 tbsp water, plus more as needed
175g sticks unsalted butter
- Start by preparing your muffins, you can purchase these in any local store. Toast them as directed on the packet and assemble them on a plate ready for your poached egg and sauce.
- We like to add a bit of greenery and added some rockets to our eggs, but you can choose avocados or any type of salad.
- Add your protein meat, most traditional egg benedict’s are made with ham however you can choose bacon or even smoked salmon.
- Place your chosen meat onto your muffin ready for your sauce and poached eggs.
- Place your egg yolks in a tall narrow jug that you can fit a blender stick in all the way to the bottom.
- Add water, lemon juice, cayenne pepper and salt and blitz.
- Melt butter.
- With the blender stick going on high, slowly pour the butter in a thin stream into the eggs over around 45 seconds.
- Once all the butter is in, the sauce should be thick, smooth and pale yellow.
- Keep warm - Transfer to a bowl, cover and keep warm - it will stay warm for 15 min but even room temp is fine.
- Boil water in a pan on your hob.
- Add a few drops of vinegar to the water.
- Using a spoon, mix the water in the middle to create a tornado motion and crack the egg into the middle. This will allow the egg whites to stay together and not expand out when in water.
- Poach for 1-2 minutes, I like to use a slotted spoon to pick up to check to see if it's cooked. You’ll know when it’s cooked as the white should be soft but set, yolks should be runny.
Place on top of muffins, drizzle with Hollandaise sauce and top with chives