World Chocolate Day
Let's celebrate with a gooey chocolate cake.
225g plain flour
255g granulated white sugar
96g cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
64g butter melted
1tbsp vanilla extract
128ml hot coffee
200 grams dark chocolate
90 grams unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 180c. Grease (or use baking paper) a 9inch spring tin and leave to one side.
- In the large bowl of a standing mixer, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
- Stir in hot coffee with a rubber spatula. It will be a little runny!
- Pour mixture into your spring tin and cook for about 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Whilst it is baking, melt your dark chocolate and butter over a pan on the hob until a chocolate glaze has formed.
- Wait until the cake is completely cool to glaze with chocolate.